Do you often wake up with a headache? Are your chronic morning headaches often accompanied by facial pain? If you have morning headaches and migraines, it may be time to talk to your dentist. Dr. Jessica Christy treats patients with a range of dental problems, including TMJ disorders in Hendersonville, NC. She can treat chronic headaches that are often caused by TMJ disorders.
The term TMJ actually refers to the temporomandibular joints. These joints are where the jaw attaches to the skull and facilitates speaking and chewing. If there is stress in this joint due to an injury or imbalance in the bite, a variety of symptoms can occur, including headaches and facial pain. At Orchard Hill Dental, we can treat chronic headaches caused by TMJ disorders. Dr. Christy offers effective treatment to alleviate your pain and improve your oral health.
What Are Symptoms of TMJ Disorders?
TMJ disorders are common and can lead to many painful symptoms:
- Headaches and migraines
- Teeth clenching and grinding
- Jaw pain and dysfunction
- Difficulty biting and chewing
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Jaw clicking and popping
Dr. Christy will evaluate your occlusion, or bite, during routine visits. She and her team will also look for signs of teeth grinding such as worn or damaged teeth. Please let her or a member of her dental team know if you are experiencing signs of TMJ disorders. If no other method of treatment has helped, the cause may be the TMJ. Dr. Christy can also help reduce the tension in the temporomandibular joints caused by malocclusion or teeth grinding. This, in turn, will alleviate headaches. She can find the appropriate treatment for each patient to address the underlying cause of their TMJ dysfunction.
Your specific treatment will depend on the severity of your TMJ problem as well as your specific symptoms. TMJ treatment options can include:
- Nightguards: A nightguard, similar to a mouthguard, is the most conservative option for patients who may clench or grind their teeth. Dr. Christy will recommend a custom-made nightguard made of acrylic. Store-bought nightguards are often made of rubbery plastic, which encourages unconscious clenching and grinding. Professionally-made acrylic nightguards align the jaw joints and prevent muscle tension as a result of teeth grinding. They prevent continual teeth grinding to relax the jaw muscles.
- Restorative and Cosmetic Dentistry: Dr. Christy may recommend restorative or cosmetic procedures to repair worn teeth or adjust the bite. These can include dental bonding, veneers, or dental crowns. If your teeth are worn, cracked, or broken, these treatments can cover and protect your teeth.
- Orthodontics: For patients with crooked or misaligned teeth that are affecting the bite, braces or Invisalign can improve the patient’s dental health and TMJ symptoms. Crooked and misaligned teeth actually exacerbate TMJ disorders.
Request a Dental Consultation Today
If you have been experiencing recurring headaches or migraines with no relief from traditional treatment options, schedule a dental appointment with Dr. Christy online. New patients may call (828) 247-7001, current patients of Dr. Christy can call (828) 696-3337.